Saturday, July 14, 2012

Fact or Fiction?..case in point: C.S. Lewis


Under the banner of fantasy and science fiction genre, authors are given a window to express what they feel without any constraints regarding the world around us...don't you think?  case in point, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, for example, which is an alarmingly psychic satire on where we may be headed..a futuristic totalitarian society. 

Another such example is the allegorical Animal Farm by George Orwell’s, which was inspired by his strong cynicism with the Soviet Communism; among many such literary “fiction” is the work of C.S. Lewis...the man obviously needs no introduction but just in case you've time travelled from the 19th century..he is probably one of the most influential writer of the 20th century.  Annnd no..im not going to talk about the Chronicles of Narnia..no offense narnians but instead I want to discuss the Screwtape Letters.  

Which is essentially, a clever satire on anyone driven away from his or her motive with temptations.  When I first picked up  the Screwtape letters, the cleverness of it astonished me...i definitely underestameted C. S. Lewis.  In the book, C.S. Lewis states "The world into which I had to project myself while I spoke through Screwtape was all dust, grit, thirst and itch...It almost smothered me before I was done. It would have smothered my readers if I had prolonged it".   And I have no reason to doubt it; the tenacity of reading this book without any personal attachment was a task I found impossible to undertake.  One cause could be because C.S Lewis had written this work to appeal to the readers’ emotions, hence making it very difficult to read without getting emotionally involved. At first glance it may seem he is aiming to appeal to his readers’ religious endeavors, but I believe it also had a universal appeal to anyone who has a set of reason in their lives, and a more distinct appeal to those that lack reason in their lives.
            In the Screwtape Letters, C.S Lewis covers a range of growing human concerns such as politics, religion and education all in the cover of fantasy. He brilliantly steps inside our minds and describes every mental battle we’ve experience in our spiritual journey and tactically disguised it as the deliberate work of the devil.  C.S. Lewis conveys an innovative outlook to the human conscience while offering the idea that it is driven by an unwavering direction steered by the manipulation of good and evil.   As our world progresses, I see a parallel growth between world advances and human concerns.  As divorces and dropout rates go up, issues C.S. Lewis embarks upon in The Screwtape Letters becomes less of a fantastical work and more as a moral guidance.  I know C.S Lewis has his share of critics but in my opinion the Screwtape Letters is the kind of novel that only ages better as our world advances.



1 comment:

  1. A very good read. Referring to your blog of course. I have yet to read the book and am now inspired to. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete